At Floor Coverings International of Oahu, we love spending time at the beach. There’s nothing better than enjoying the waves from the comfort of your seaside home. We often have customers in the Honolulu, Oahu area that ask what types of flooring are best for homes by the beach. This is an excellent question to ask – the frequent change in humidity and constant presence of sand can do a number on your flooring. Here’s our list of the best flooring options for beach homes in Honolulu:
- Porcelain Tile. One of the great things about porcelain tile is that today you can find styles that mimic other flooring like hardwood or bamboo. If you want something extremely durable with the look of hardwood, this might be a great option. You can also choose classic porcelain tiles for your home.
- Engineered Hardwood. Less susceptible to warping and other moisture damage, engineered hardwood is often a favorite for seaside homeowners.
- Sheet Vinyl. If you’re hoping for something a bit more affordable than natural flooring options, sheet vinyl offers impressive durability at a lower price. You won’t have to worry about sand getting between the tiles thanks to its full-floor coverage.
- Hardwood. If you love the look of hardwood and can’t imagine getting anything else, that’s ok! Be sure to choose a hardwood that can be refinished, and be prepared for the natural wear that’s bound to happen. It might be a good idea to invest in a dehumidifier to keep the moisture level more constant around your hardwood.
- Stone Tile. One of the most durable flooring options out there, stone tile can handle plenty of weather changes and sandy feet. Choose one with a natural texture like cleft slate that’s sure to hide any small scratches.
- Rugs to the Rescue. If nothing else, our flooring experts at Floor Coverings International always recommend that homeowners invest in plenty of doormats and runners. This is especially important if you choose hardwood flooring or something else that can be damaged by sand. Rugs are easy to toss in the wash, and they add comfort to harder floors like porcelain tile. In the Honolulu, Oahu area we love sea grass rugs. They work both indoors and outdoors, and are extremely durable.
Photo Credit: PlusONE